The Autoimmune Solution Supplements Guide
November 7th, 2017
The Autoimmune Solution Supplements Guide
I am thrilled that so many of you have included me in your health journey! As more of you follow The Autoimmune Solution protocol, I know there are some questions regarding the supplements. Let’s start with a quick glance at The Myers Way® Autoimmune Program Supplements on page 197 in the book. Here you will see a chart with nine different categories to customize your supplement protocol.
1. For Everyone
First you will find basic supplements listed for everyone. The simple truth is that you can’t always get everything you need from your diet as your body works hard to fight your daily toxic burden, overcome genetics, recover from chronic stress, and reduce inflammation. Even if your diet did provide everything your body requires, you might not be absorbing those nutrients if you have a leaky gut or weak digestion.
I believe everyone should take a Probiotic, Omega 3, Multivitamin, and Vitamin D indefinitely. During The Myers Way®, it’s also incredibly important to heal the gut with L-Glutamine and support your detox pathways with Acetyl-Glutathione (see below for some more information on these essential supplements). These are the supplements I recommend for everyone:
- Probiotics. Our gut is full of “good” and friendly bacteria that help us properly break down and digest our food. They help keep our gut in check and prevent ‘bad’ bacteria from overgrowth. Unfortunately, these friendly bacteria can be depleted and disrupted by taking antibiotics, steroids, or acid-blocking medications, eating a poor diet, and many other factors. Taking a highly concentrated dose (50-100 billion units a day) of probiotics on a daily basis can help you regain a healthy balance of bacteria in your gut. If you have SIBO, I recommend taking the Prescript-Assist Soil Based Probiotic rather than the Complete Probiotic.
- Omega 3. Omega 3 fatty acids are crucial for reducing inflammation. You can take up to 4 grams of these anti-inflammatory fatty acids.
- Add a Multivitamin Complete if you don’t already have a good multivitamin. Make sure that your multivitamin has premethylated B vitamins (ex. B12 as methylcobalamin instead of cynocobalamin) and is free of food based additives from foods avoided on The Myers Way®.
- Vitamin D3. Most people are deficient in Vitamin D. Even if you are in ‘normal’ range you are likely not optimal. Your levels should be at 60-90 ng/mL. Vitamin D can be toxic so make sure you work with your doctor to recheck your levels every few months.
- L-Glutamine. L-Glutamine is an amino acid that is fundamental to the well-being of the digestive and immune systems. Glutamine is great for repairing damage to the gut, helping the gut lining to regrow and repair, undoing the damage caused by leaky gut, and reducing sugar cravings. I recommend 3-5 grams a day. The GI Repair Powder also contains deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), which is an herb that has been used for over 3,000 years in the treatment of digestive issues including ulcers and indigestion. It’s made from whole licorice, but the manufacturing process includes the removal of glycyrrhizin, which can cause an elevation in blood pressure. DGL supports the body’s natural processes for maintaining the mucosal lining of the stomach and duodenum. You can choose between the capsules of L-Glutamine or the GI Repair Powder with L-Glutamine and DGL.
- Acetyl-Glutathione OR a combination of N-Acetyl-Cysteine, Vitamin C, and Liver Support. We live in a toxic world, and we can’t afford to detox just once or twice a year–we need to support our detox pathways every single day. Glutathione is a naturally produced antioxidant in your body, and in general, supplemental glutathione is not well absorbed. I have had great success however with Citrisafe Acetyl-Glutathione. I strongly encourage this supplement for everyone, but if you prefer you can substitute it with a combination of N-Acetyl-Cysteine (the precursor to glutathione), Vitamin C, and Liver Support to encourage your body’s natural production of glutathione.
To make it a little easier, I’ve bundled these supplements together in a wellness kit that you can purchase at a discount.
2. Inflammation/Immune Support
Next, you’ll see supplements for inflammation/immune support for those who have pain, swelling, or any autoimmune condition. After assessing where you fall on the autoimmune spectrum, based on your results from The Myers Way® Symptom Tracker on pages 22-24, you can decide if you would like to add this category of supplements to your protocol for at least 30 days or until your inflammation is gone. These supplements are not required, but if your overall total was >10 you will likely benefit from any or all of these supplements including:
- Meriva-SR Curcumin (Curcumin Phytosome). Curcumin comes from turmeric, which is a member of the ginger family, and is known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Your body and your taste buds will thank you for fighting inflammation with this supplement and using turmeric in your cooking! I recommend supplementation because this brand is in fat-soluble form that is able to penetrate into the cell–you would need to take a lot of pills or eat a lot of turmeric to get the same effect.
- Omega 3. Don’t forget that you can take up to 4 grams of these wonderful anti-inflammatory fatty acids.
The following supplements work synergistically to sway your immune system to get back on track.
- Resveratrol. Resveratrol is a great antioxidant to support your immune function. Dark chocolate and red wine contain resveratrol, but you would have to drink a lot of wine and eat a lot of dark chocolate to receive these benefits! At least for now, while you’re healing, it’s probably best taken as a supplement.
- Acetyl-Glutathione OR a combination of N-Acetyl-Cysteine, Vitamin C, and Liver Support. Supporting your body’s detox pathways is one of the best ways to support your body’s immune system.
- You can also add an Immune Boost supplement. This immunoglobulin concentrate supports immune function, gut health, and tissue repair similar to the way breast milk supports a baby’s immune system.
*Note there is some overlap between the supplements for everyone and the supplements for inflammation/immune support. You do not need to double up on the amount of Acetyl-Glutathione or the combination of N-Acetyl-Cysteine, Vitamin C, and Liver Support if you are taking supplements from both categories. Simply note those supplements are helping you in many ways!
I’ve also bundled these supplements together in a wellness kit.
3. Gut Health
The next category of supplements focuses on gut health. Since in functional medicine we believe everything starts in the gut, this is a high priority category for most people, especially if you have an autoimmune condition and/or gut infections like yeast overgrowth, SIBO, and parasites. The following supplements are recommended for at least 30 days or until infections and digestive issues are gone:
- Your choice of two different probiotics as described in the supplements for everyone category.
- Your choice of two different forms of L-Glutamine as described in the supplements for everyone category.
- Collagen. These amino acids from grass-fed beef provide nutrients to help with healing a leaky gut, repairing damage to joints, and detoxing for the liver. This supplement is especially helpful for those that have Rheumatoid Arthritis or joint pain.
- Digestive enzymes. As the gut is healing, it is important to restore enzymes that are necessary in breaking down your food for proper absorption. You will be taking these enzymes with your meals until your gut is working properly to produce enough of these enzymes on its own.
- Betaine hydrochloride (HCL) with pepsin. Just as many people need digestive enzyme support, many benefit from restoring stomach acid, or HCL, for optimal digestion. Your stomach should be an acidic environment to breakdown nutrients, particularly proteins. There is a simple, at home test you can do to see if you have low stomach acid and are in need of HCL replacement. Begin to eat a meal, take 650 mg of HCL, and then finish your meal. If you experience heartburn or warmth in your stomach, you have sufficient levels of HCL. If you do not experience any burning sensation in your upper abdomen, then you likely would benefit from 1-2 capsules of HCL at each meal.
If you are taking the supplements for everyone, you will already have the first two supplements in this category. Check out The Autoimmune Solution Gut Repair Wellness Kit, which contains all of these supplements.
4. Detoxification Support
Since it’s so important, we have already covered detoxification support supplements in two different categories. I have listed it on its own for those of you that may be prioritizing supplements. Remember for this category, I highly recommend taking Acetyl-Glutathione for at least 30 days. I take Acetyl-Glutathione daily to constantly support my detox pathways. In place of Acetyl-Glutathione, you can take a combination of N-Acetyl-Cysteine, Vitamin C, and Liver Support to promote your body’s natural production of glutathione. Of course, you can take all four supplements if you want to for extra support since we live in such a toxic world!
Check out The Autoimmune Solution Detox Support Wellness Kit for a discount.
After reading through the Autoimmunity and Infections section of the book on page 151, if you feel that those infections apply to you consider the following supplements in the infections category:
- L-Lysine. L-Lysine is an amino acid that can be used for reduction of occurrence, severity, and healing time for recurrent herpes simplex virus (HSV) infections. For prevention, you can take one capsule of L-Lysine daily, and if you are having an outbreak and you can take three daily.
- Lauricidin. This product is derived from coconut oil and designed to strengthen your immune system in order to decrease your body’s viral load.
- Humic Acid. Humic Acid supports the immune system and helps to heal chronic viral infections such as Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV).
6. Yeast Overgrowth
In order to decide if you should add these supplements to your protocol, take the Yeast Overgrowth test on page 194-195. If you checked three or more items, it is likely beneficial for you to follow the Yeast Overgrowth/SIBO Dietary Protocol starting on page 195 and to add the following supplements on page 199 to your protocol for at least 30 days or until your symptoms are gone:
- Caprylic Acid. Caprylic acid, also known as octanoic acid, is a naturally occurring fatty acid that comes from coconut oil. Caprylic acid is known for it’s antiviral and antifungal activity.
- Candisol. Candisol contains a combination of plant-based enzymes that break down the cell walls of Candida.
If you feel that you may be suffering from Candida or yeast overgrowth, these are safe, effective and natural ways to treat Candida. I have a wellness kit for Candida/Yeast overgrowth too!
Take the Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) test on page 195. If you checked three or more items, it is likely beneficial for you to follow the Yeast Overgrowth/SIBO Dietary Protocol starting on page 195 and to add the following supplement on page 199 to your protocol for at least 30 days or up to 60 days until your symptoms are gone:
- Microb-Clear. This broad spectrum antimicrobial supplement contains a blend of botanicals that fight against bacteria overgrowth in the intestines. Due to its antimicrobial activity, you may experience slight ‘die-off’ symptoms as dysbiosis begins to resolve. You can begin slowly with this supplement by taking just one per day at first and work your way up to the recommended amount. If after your first round (30 days) of Microb-Clear you have some improvement, but not complete resolution, of your symptoms, you may benefit from one more round.
Take the Parasite test on page 196. If you checked three or more items, it is likely beneficial for you to add the following supplement on page 200 to your protocol for at least 30 days or up to 60 days until your symptoms are gone:
- *Microb-Clear. This same antimicrobial supplement used for SIBO also helps get rid of unwelcome intestinal parasites. If you have a stool analysis that shows a specific parasite, your doctor may recommend a pharmaceutical drug, but this supplement can be beneficial for unspecified pathogens.
*Note that this is the same supplement recommended for SIBO. If you have checked more than 3 items for both, simply take the herbal supplement as directed, without doubling up.
To maintain a healthy bacterial balance, I often recommend a probiotic. If you’d like to add a probiotic, try my Parasite Control Wellness Kit.
9. Adrenal Support
Take The Myers Way® Adrenal Fatigue Test on pages 167-168. If you checked six or more items, it is likely beneficial for you to follow some stress-relieving strategies on page 170 and to add the following supplement on page 200 to your protocol for at least 30 days or until your symptoms are gone:
- AdrenoMend. These adaptogenic herbs including Rhodiola rosea and Panax ginseng help the body adapt and cope with stress. This is my go-to treatment to support the adrenal gland, as you work to find the root cause of your adrenal fatigue.
Prioritizing Your Supplements
While some of you may be veterans at taking supplements to support your health, I know this may be new for others. After reading through the options, decide what is best for you! If you are trying to prioritize because of cost or number of pills, I recommend doing the supplements listed under For Everyone, Gut Health, and, if applicable based on your tests, Yeast Overgrowth, SIBO, and/or Parasite. It ALL starts in your gut, and if you have an autoimmune condition, you have an issue with your gut. Remember, 80% of your immune system is located in your gut! Another single supplement that I find extremely helpful for autoimmune conditions is the Acetyl-Glutathione. If you need more personalized advice I would recommend a Wellness Coaching session with one of my Wellness Coaches.
Where to Get Supplements
Please note that supplements are an unregulated industry, and for that reason you must get them from a trusted source. Each supplement on my store has been vetted by me. They are pharmaceutical grade (higher quality and often higher dosages then over the counter), and I use my medical license to carry them. They have been tested by a third party company to ensure that each supplement is what the label says it is, and is free of common allergens such as gluten, dairy, soy, and corn (unless otherwise marked).
There are no requirements to purchase supplements from my store in order to be successful on The Myers Way®–however, if you choose not to purchase them form my website, I recommend you purchase them from a compounding pharmacy because they use a pharmacist’s license to carry pharmaceutical grade supplements. They do not always have what we have, but if you print a photo of the back of the bottle off my website, you can take it with you and make sure you are getting a supplement that is comparable to what I am recommending.
We have all of these supplements in my online store. Sign up for my newsletter, and each Friday you’ll receive an email with informative articles, delicious recipes, and discounts and coupons for supplements and other products from my online store. I also offer discounted Wellness Kits so you can easily find what you need:
- For Everyone
- Inflammation/Immune Support
- Gut Health
- Detoxification Support
- Candida/Yeast Overgrowth
- Parasite Control
How to Take Supplements
If you are typically sensitive to supplements, you can add in supplements slowly to allow your body to gradually adjust and to be sure you tolerate them. Download the sample supplement chart below, which contains supplements from every supplement category on pages 197-200. Customize it to fit your supplement protocol and daily schedule! The supplements can be taken together, besides the gut infection supplements and the probiotics. Be sure to take the probiotics at least 30 minutes away from the Caprylic acid and Candisol, and at least 2 hours away from the Microb-Clear. I recommend taking the Caprylic acid, Candisol, and Microb-Clear first thing in the morning and right before bed so they are away from food and probiotics.