Fourth of July Recipes
Call your family members, friends, and neighbors — it’s time to celebrate the 4th of July! That means great times and even better food! Even if you’re following The Myers Way®, AIP, elimination, or any other diet, there’s no reason why you can’t join in the festivities! I’ve put together a list of festive crowd favorites that are sure to make your holiday go out with a bang!
Chicken Bacon Ranch Skewers
These Chicken Bacon Ranch Skewers are guaranteed to be the showstoppers of your backyard BBQ. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled when you’ve got a crowd coming over to celebrate. Simply thread your meat and veggies on wooden skewers before popping them on the grill. They cook in just minutes, so keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 5 slices nitrate-free bacon
- 1/2 head red cabbage
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cups avocado oil (you can substitute olive oil, but it will yield a more distinct flavor)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dried chives
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water. for at least 30 minutes or, preferably, overnight to keep them from breaking and burning. To soak them, place your skewers into a casserole dish or a rimmed baking sheet and cover completely with water.
For the Marinade
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade into a blender. Blend on high until all ingredients smooth. Pour half this mixture into a bowl for drizzling on top of your finished skewers and reserve. Keep the remainder of the mixture for marinating your chicken.
For the Skewers
- Preheat grill to high. Cut each raw chicken breast into roughly 12 equal pieces (about 1.5″ chunks). Place chicken pieces into a large bowl and pour the reserved marinade on top. Stir with a spoon to evenly coat each piece. Cover and place bowl into the fridge and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop zucchini, squash, onion, and cabbage into equal sized pieces, about 1 1/2″ chunks. Cut each piece of bacon into thirds across width.
- Remove chicken from bowl and discard marinade. Assemble your skewers by threading each pre-soaked skewer with a piece of zucchini or quash as an anchor for the other ingredients. Alternate threading the remaining ingredients, folding the bacon into an “s” shape to thread it onto the skewer. Repeat.
- Place skewers on grill and close lid. Check and turn after five minutes.
- When the chicken and bacon are entirely cooked through, remove the skewers from the grill and place on platter. Drizzle with the reserved marinade and serve.
Strawberry and Cucumber Salad
This Strawberry and Cucumber Salad is a light and summery side dish that can pair well with any meal! And because summer is strawberry and cucumber season, it’s the perfect time to get the freshest (and tastiest!) organic produce to really make this salad pop!
- 2 cucumber, chopped
- 3 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cups fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- In a bowl, combine cucumbers, strawberries, onion, and mint.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together vinegar and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over salad mixture and serve.
Dairy-Free Triple Berry Parfaits
These red, white, and blue Triple Berry Parfaits are delicious, nutrient-dense, and super easy to prepare when you don’t have a lot of time on your hands. Coconut yogurt is layered with fresh berries and toasted coconut flakes for a gluten-free, dairy-free parfait with satisfying textures and great taste. Plus, these parfaits can be prepared in advance, meaning you can party prep ahead of time.
- 1 cup plain coconut yogurt
- 1/4 cups unsweetened, toasted coconut flakes
- 1 cup fresh berries
- In a large dry skillet, toast the coconut flakes over medium heat, stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes, or until golden-brown and toasted. Remove from heat and allow to cool. You can store toasted coconut flakes in a closed container at room temperature – it will stay crispy for several days.
- Assemble the parfait cups by layering the coconut yogurt, berries, and toasted coconut flakes. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
Updated on: Published on: