You’ve probably seen Chicken Bacon Ranch in all kinds of dishes from pizza to pasta—usually using ingredients that just aren’t very healthy. But now you can join in with these Chicken Bacon Ranch Skewers, marinated in a creamy (dairy-free!) sauce that is full of ranch flavor. Be sure to reserve half the marinade for drizzling on your finished skewers!
Pair them with cilantro lime cauliflower rice for a main dish, or drizzled with the dipping sauce for a healthy appetizer. Double the recipe when you’ve got a crowd coming for a backyard barbeque and pop them on the grill. They cook in just minutes, so keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
If you don’t have a grill, don’t fret! These Chicken Bacon Ranch Skewers can be cooked in your oven instead. Here’s how: Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Cover two rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil, and place a cooling rack on top of each. Place Bacon Chicken Ranch Skewers on the cooling rack, and place in the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes, then turn each skewer and bake another 10-15 minutes until the chicken is white all the way through and bacon is crisp.
How do I stop wooden skewers from burning on the grill?
To keep wooden skewers from burning, you’ll want to soak them in water. You can add water to a shallow baking dish, and allow the skewers to rest fully submerged in the water for at least 30 minutes. If you can plan ahead, let your skewers rest overnight in the water to get fully saturated.
When you’re grilling your skewers, the exposed ends will become more brittle and run the risk of breaking. So while it may seem natural to use the ends to flip your skewers, you’ll instead want to use tongs to grab each skewer from the center (where the chicken, bacon, and vegetables are), instead of using the ends.
Now that you know everything there is to know about grilling and baking chicken skewers, it’s time to get to the specifics!
Chicken Bacon Ranch Skewers
- 1 lb 454.00 g chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1/2 lb 227.00 g chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 5 slices nitrate-free bacon
- 4 cups 960.00 ml red cabbage approximately 1/2 head
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup 240.00 ml coconut cream
- 1/2 cup 120.00 ml coconut cream
- 1/4 cup 60.00 ml Avocado oil (you can substitute olive oil, but it will yield a more distinct flavor than avocado oil)
- 2 Tbsp 29.57 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp 14.79 ml dried chives
- 1 Tbsp 14.79 ml dried parsley
- 1 tsp 4.93 ml dried dill
- 1 tsp 4.93 ml granulated garlic
- 1 tsp 4.93 ml sea salt
- 1/2 tsp 2.46 ml onion powder
- If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for least 30 minutes or, preferably, overnight to keep them from breaking and burning. To soak them place your skewers into a casserole dish or a rimmed baking sheet, and cover completely with water.
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade into a blender. Blend on high until all ingredients have emulsified. Pour half of this mixture into a bowl for drizzling on top of your finished skewers, and reserve. Keep the remainder of the mixture for marinating your chicken.
- Preheat grill to high. Cut each raw chicken breast into roughly 12 equal pieces (about 1.5” chunks). Place chicken pieces into a large bowl, and pour the reserved marinade on top. Stir with a spoon to evenly coat each piece. Cover and place bowl into the fridge and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop zucchini, squash, onion, and cabbage into equal sized pieces, about 1½” chunks. Cut each piece of bacon into thirds across width.
- Meanwhile, chop zucchini, squash, and cabbage into equal-sized pieces, about 1 1/2 chunks. Cut each piece of bacon into thirds across the width.
- Remove chicken from bowl and discard marinade. Assemble your skewers by threading each pre-soaked skewer with a piece of zucchini or squash as an anchor for the other ingredients. Alternate threading the remaining ingredients, folding the bacon into an “s” shape to thread it onto the skewer. Repeat.
- Place skewers on grill; close lid. Check and turn after five minutes.
- When the chicken and bacon are entirely cooked through, remove the skewers from the grill and place on platter. Drizzle with the reserved marinade.