This dish makes for a great lunch or dinner. You can eat it as a main dish, place it on top of salad greens, or place it in a grain-free protocol-friendly ‘wrap’. It’s also delicious topped with sliced avocado and a pinch of sea salt!
Consuming organic free-range chicken (along with other high quality proteins) can help stabilize your blood sugar, build lean muscle mass, and prevent and aid in treatment of mood disorders. Protein helps blunt the blood sugar spike during meals and snacks, regulating blood sugar and decreasing insulin secretion. This protects against blood sugar dysregulation disorders such as Type 2 Diabetes. Protein is required to build and maintain lean muscle mass so a diet adequate in high-quality protein can help prevent tissue breakdown and reduce the adverse effects of aging and chronic illness. Lastly, the building blocks of proteins (i.e. amino acids) are converted to neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin in the body. If high-quality protein intake is lacking or if there is poor protein digestion and/or absorption, insufficiency in amino acids can cause an imbalance or decline in neurotransmitters, leading to mood disorders such as depression.
Chicken Breast, Sweet Potato and Apple Hash
- 4 chicken breast boneless, sliced
- 2 Tbsp 29.57 ml Avocado oil (or other cooking oil)
- 1/4 tsp 1.23 ml sea salt
- 1 tsp 4.93 ml ground black pepper
- 2 sweet potato thinly sliced
- 1 granny smith apple core removed and sliced
- 1 red onion small
- 1/2 tsp 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 1/2 cup 120.00 ml chicken bone broth
- 1 Tbsp 14.79 ml rosemary chopped
- In a large skillet, place cooking oil over medium-high heat.
- Salt and pepper chicken breasts and place in skillet. Sauté until browned on both sides. Transfer to large plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and sweet potatoes to the skillet with additional cooking oil, as needed. Sauté until onion is golden – about 5 minutes.
- Add apples, cinnamon, chicken breast, rosemary and bone broth to the skillet. Bring the mixture to boil. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer until chicken is cooked thru and veggies and fruit are tender – about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.