Crepes are a versatile breakfast or dessert available at restaurants, farmer’s markets, and food trucks everywhere! For those of you following The Myer’s Way®, that doesn’t make them easy to get your hands on. Luckily you can still enjoy these Crepes with Coconut Cream and Berry Compote without straying from any gluten-free protocol.
A basic crepe recipe uses flour, water, and salt, while more popular variations include eggs, sugar, milk, and butter too. That’s a lot of inflammatory foods in one thin pancake! My Crepes with Coconut Cream and Berry Compote use cassava flour, coconut milk, vanilla, and coconut oil. These ingredients are all great foods to optimize your diet and provide you with a sweet treat. I’ve also used the best egg-replacement around with The Myers Way® Gelatin. Your crepe won’t give you any trouble with rips and tears.
My go-to fruit is used to make a simple, AIP berry compote. Choose your favorite berry for this or create a mixed-berry compote. Now, the icing on top of the crepe so to speak is the coconut cream.
I love this recipe because it’s so fun and simple. You can pour a cup of Dandy Tea, and bring a little AIP crepe cafe into your home.
Crepes with Coconut Cream and Berry Compote
- 2 cups 480.00 ml fresh berries (i.e. strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
- 2 Tbsp 29.57 ml water
- 1 tsp 4.93 ml lemon zest
- 4 Tbsp 59.15 ml coconut cream
- 1 tsp NaN ml honey
- 1 cup 240.00 ml Cassava flour
- 1/4 cup 60.00 ml tapioca starch
- 2 cups 480.00 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 scoop The Myers Way® Gelatin
- 1 tsp 4.93 ml vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp 14.79 ml coconut oil plus additional for pan
- In a saucepan, add berries, water, and lemon zest. Bring mixture to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and muddle berries with a spoon. Continue to cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes until mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Combine coconut cream and honey in a small bowl. Set aside.
- For crepes, place all ingredients in the bowl of a blender. Blend until fully combined. If the batter needs to be thinned, add additional coconut milk.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan.
- Spoon out about 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan and swirl around pan to make a thin layer. Cook for about 4 minutes until the cooked side is slightly browned. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Repeat with oil and batter.
- Fold or roll each crepe into desired shape. Top with berry compote and coconut cream and serve.