Everyone loves Mexican-American food and it’s one of the biggest things that patients on our protocols crave the most. Thankfully it’s easy to replicate the spices and flavors without relying on corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, and peppers, which are considered inflammatory foods on The Myers Way®. In this taquito recipe, I’m using dark meat organic chicken to get some additional healthy fats into the dish, as well as grain-free tortillas for fiber and to simulate the texture and flavor of corn. These are crave-worthy and you won’t even miss the allergens!
Grain-Free Chicken Taquitos
- 4 chicken thigh skinless, boneless
- 1/2 tsp 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp 2.46 ml onion powder
- 1/2 tsp 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 1 white onion roughly chopped into approximately 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup 120.00 ml cilantro
- 1 tsp 4.93 ml sea salt
- 15 grain-free tortillas We like Siete brand coconut cassava flour tortillas
- 1 avocado ripe
- 1 Tbsp 14.79 ml coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut chicken into medium-sized pieces and coat in spices and salt and add to a large pan preheated over medium-high heat with coconut oil. Sear until cooked through. Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.
- Add slightly cooled chicken, onion, and cilantro to food processor and blend until chicken is finely shredded and vegetables are minced.
- Place 2-3 Tbsp of the chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll up to form a taquito. Do not overfill or tortillas can crack. If tortillas are dry, wet them down with a quick rinse under water to prevent cracking. If they do crack, it’s okay -- this recipe will still work!
- Place taquitos seam-side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
- Mash avocado in a small bowl and dip taquitos in avocado for added creaminess.