Grain-free baking has forced me to get a little creative in the kitchen. Starchy and slightly sweet, plantains make a wonderful stand in! Green plantains work best for this recipe because they have a higher starch content, but yellow plantains add a hint of sweetness. Applesauce makes a great egg-replacer in this Peachy Gluten-Free Cobbler that’s good enough to please any Southern palate.
Peachy Grain-Free Cobbler
- 3 cups 720.00 ml sliced fresh peaches (or other fruit of your choice)
- 2 green plantain
- 3/4 cup 180.00 ml applesauce unsweetened
- 1/3 cup 80.00 ml coconut oil plus more for greasing
- 2 Tbsp 29.57 ml lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp 44.36 ml honey
- 1 Tbsp 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp 0.62 ml nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp 0.62 ml sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a baking dish or cast-iron pan with a small amount of coconut oil.
- Pour the sliced peaches into the pan, and spread them out so that the bottom of the pan is completely covered with a thick layer of fruit.
- Blend the remaining ingredients in a food processor until they form a thick batter, and then pour the batter over the peaches.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until firm. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.