This recipe was inspired by a creative patient who loves food! Enjoy some winter squash this season packed with veggies and your favorite protein.
Organic Veggie Stuffed Kabocha Squash with Grass-Fed Ground Beef
- 2 kabocha squash or other small pumpkin
- 1 Tbsp 14.79 ml coconut oil
- 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp 14.79 ml ginger approximately 1 inch, peeled and minced
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 lb 454.00 g ground beef or other ground meat of your choice
- 4 cups 960.00 ml kale or spinach greens, chopped
- 1/2 cup 120.00 ml pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp 2.46 ml thyme
- 1 tsp 4.93 ml cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp 2.46 ml sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Half each squash or pumpkin and scoop out seeds to create 4 bowls.
- Cover the bottom of a glass baking dish or dishes with a thin layer of filtered water and place squash or pumpkin halves face down. Bake in oven for about 30-45 minutes or until soft.
- In the meantime, heat a large pan with coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add ginger, zucchini, carrot, parsnip, celery and grass-fed beef.
- Cook for about 5 minutes then add greens, pumpkin seeds, thyme, cinnamon and salt. Cook for about 2 more minutes until veggies are soft and beef is cooked, then set aside.
- When squash or pumpkins are finished cooking, flip over and fill each half with veggie and meat filling. Place back in the oven and cook for about 10-15 more minutes.
- Enjoy straight from the squash or pumpkin bowl or scoop onto a serving plate.