A lot of people ask me what I eat for breakfast. My answer: I love drinking a cup of hot soup which is easy on my digestion and fuels me with important proteins and fats, providing me with long-lasting energy throughout my day. If you are like me or are looking for a good breakfast alternative, you may want to give this delicious (and nutritious) Broccoli Garlic Soup a try. This soup would also be great for a light lunch or dinner.
Nutritional Benefits: Allicin, a component in garlic, can help to lower oxidative stress which is good for heart health. Broccoli contains glucoraphanin which supports our body’s detoxification pathways, neutralizing and eliminating unwanted toxins and contaminates. This soup also contains bone broth (see benefits of bone broth) which promotes gut health and healing.
Tip: You will receive the most health benefits from garlic if you let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes after being crushed or smashed prior to cooking.
Broccoli Garlic Soup with Shredded Chicken
- 1 white onion diced
- 7 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 Tbsp 14.79 ml coconut oil
- 4 cups 960.00 ml broccoli about 2 heads, chopped
- 5 cups 1200.00 ml bone broth
- 1/2 cup 120.00 ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp 4.93 ml sea salt
- 1 cup 240.00 ml chicken shredded
- Heat sauce pan over low-medium heat. Add coconut oil, diced onion and garlic, stirring occasionally.
- Chop broccoli and add to pan along with bone broth, coconut milk and salt.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring soup to a simmer. Cook until broccoli is tender.
- Once tender, remove the sauce pan from the heat. Pour contents into blender (or use immersion blender) to blend contents.
- Pour into soup bowl and top with shredded rotisserie chicken.