Sometimes organ meats get a bad rap, but I consider them an essential part of a healthy diet! They provide a rich source of nutrients, including COQ10, iron, zinc, and vitamins A, D, E, and K.
Season these Superfood Italian Meatballs liberally with spices such as garlic and basil – they may become your new favorite way to eat meatballs!
Hidden Superfood Italian Meatballs
- 2/3 cup 160.00 ml raw chicken liver or heart
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lb 454.00 g ground beef
- 1 cup 240.00 ml zucchini grated and chopped
- 1 tsp 4.93 ml sea salt
- 1/4 cup 60.00 ml parsley coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup 60.00 ml basil coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp 4.93 ml dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- To food processor or high-speed blender, add raw liver or heart, onion, parsley, basil, garlic, thyme and salt. Blend until a puree forms.
- To large mixing bowl, add liver puree mixture, as well as ground beef and grated zucchini. Mix well until blended.
- Form into meatballs of equal size, approximately 3 tablespoons each.
- Bake on baking sheet for about 25 minutes or until cooked through in the center. Flip once halfway through cooking process. Once cooked, removed from oven and place atop roasted butternut squash or veggie noodles, or a big green salad.