With spring right around the corner, I’m looking forward to some light and fresh dishes. Here’s a great weekend snack that the entire family will love!
Crispy Plantain Chips with Fresh Kiwi Salsa
- 2 plantain peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup 180.00 ml coconut oil
- 2 kiwis peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cucumber roughly peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 red onion finely chopped into approximately 3 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp 44.36 ml cilantro chopped
- 1 Tbsp 14.79 ml fresh mint chopped
- 1/2 avocado diced
- lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp 2.46 ml cinnamon to taste
- 1/2 tsp 2.46 ml sea salt to taste
- Slowly heat coconut oil in large flat pan with sides over medium high heat.
- When oil is hot, carefully place plantain slices in oil using tongs without touching each other.
- Set aside a plate lined with a paper towel.
- After a couple minutes, flip the chips then remove one plantain chip and place on paper towel to let oil drain. Test the texture to determine if the other chips are ready to be removed as well, per preference. The longer the chips cook in the oil the crispier they will get.
- When you have finished cooking your chips in batches begin making the salsa.
- In a medium sized bowl toss kiwi, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, mint, avocado, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, cinnamon, and salt.
- When your chips have cooled, transfer to a serving plate and enjoy with the kiwi salsa!