Dr. David Perlmutter
David Perlmutter, MD, FACN, ABIHM is a Board-Certified Neurologist and Fellow of the American College of Nutrition who received his M.D. degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine where he was awarded the Leonard G. Rowntree Research Award. After completing residency training in Neurology, also at the University of Miami, Dr. Perlmutter entered private practice in Naples, Florida.
Dr. Perlmutter is a frequent lecturer at symposia sponsored by such medical institutions as Columbia University, the University of Arizona, Scripps Institute, New York University, and Harvard University. He has contributed extensively to the world medical literature with publications appearing in The Journal of Neurosurgery, The Southern Medical Journal, Journal of Applied Nutrition, and Archives of Neurology. He is the author of: The Better Brain Book, Raise a Smarter Child By Kindergarten, and Power Up Your Brain, and is recognized internationally as a leader in the field of nutritional influences in neurological disorders. Dr. Perlmutter has been interviewed on many nationally syndicated radio and television programs including 20/20, Larry King Live, CNN, Fox News, Fox and Friends, The Today Show, Oprah, Dr. Oz, Montel Across America, and The CBS Early Show. In 2002, Dr. Perlmutter was the recipient of the Linus Pauling Award for his innovative approaches to neurological disorders and in addition was awarded the Denham Harmon Award for his pioneering work in the application of free radical science to clinical medicine. He is the recipient of the 2006 National Nutritional Foods Association Clinician of the Year Award and was awarded the Humanitarian of the Year award from the American College of Nutrition in, 2010.
Dr. Perlmutter currently serves as Medical Advisor for the Dr. Oz Show. His new book, Grain Brain, The Surprising Truth About Wheat, Carbs and Sugar – Your Brain’s Silent Killers is now a New York Times Bestseller.
Click link below to listen to the podcast
Click the media player below to listen to the podcast.
Podcast: Play in new window
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
The Myers Way Episode 26: Grain Brain with Dr. David Perlmutter
1) Doctor, Grain Brain is now the number one book in America in the area of brain health. Why the interest?
2) We are all told that the best thing we can do is cut back on fat, and yet your new book tells us just the opposite. Why do you say we should actually be eating more fat?
3) Doctors are telling everyone to lower their cholesterols, and your new book states that cholesterol is good for the brain. That seems a bit confusing.
4) People have been eating grains for thousands of years and now suddenly we are hearing that grains are a problem. How can that be?
5) In your new book you talk a lot about how sugars and carbs are actually “toxic” for the brain, can you explain?
6) How did you come up with these theories? Is there much science that supports what you’re saying?
7) How can a person know if they are at risk for a brain problem?
Connect with Dr. Perlmutter
Like him on Facebook.
Follow him on Twitter @davidperlmuttermd
Connect with him on LinkedIn.